Show #3, March 10th, Clermont-Ferrand, France

It’s 2.20am. We’re on the bus driving to Reims. There’s plenty of chatting going on between everyone. They’re all pretty happy with how the show went tonight. Me too. It’s the same venue that we rehearsed in earlier in the week, so we felt at home in a way. It’s a really great venue actually because the room was just like a square that gradually rises up. Yes, I know, like most venues, but this one seems quite simple in it’s layout, which is great when I want to see everyone.

After the show, we went out to sign CD’s and meet the public, which is always pretty hectic and non stop. It’s always a slightly strange experience because most of the time I spend looking down at what I am writing so I don’t get to actually see everyone that I am writing to, but I always really appreciate those of you who (while I am signing my name) let me know your thoughts about the show. It’s those words that mean a lot. One lady took a moment to say that her life changed from listening to my music and she found love – that’s the reason I do what I do. And thank you to Amandine Toupin for the letter – it was very touching what you wrote (both in English and French).

I have something to add to what I talked about last night regarding playing the old and then the new material. I mentioned it being kinder on my voice because of the way I wrote the songs, but since a conversation I just had with Medi, I realised there’s another big reason for it. During all of our touring of the last album, and for most of my life, all the monitoring (sound on stage) I have ever had has come from the wedges (speakers on the floor). But for this album, we have turned to having in ear monitoring, which Ben has been begging me to do for 2 years and which Nico and Franck (my sound men) really pushed for. So, it’s taken a bit of getting used to (first we had to let go of believing that it’s not still rock n roll if it’s not REALLY loud onstage and destroying our hearing), but overall the result is a lot better.

I just had a chat with Medi asking how his set went before mine (it’s a long day for him) and he said how great it was to sing his songs with the in ear monitors. I realised at that moment how much of a difference they make. Everything is so much clearer. I can sing really softly and hear every nuance in my voice, without having to fight the bass guitar. That makes a huge difference to how to preserve the voice during the set.

I can’t imagine how boring it must be to read about this stuff. My own words are even boring me.

What else went on today? Well, much the same as it does every day. After the show, we had three sisters visit us back stage, who are triplets and friends of ours. I’ve never met triplets before. At first, when meeting the other two for the first time, I thought I was in a strange dream (albeit, one I’d be happy to not wake up from). These three girls could not look more alike – it was a sure thing that they were triplets. It was Ben’s first time to meet them also. The best moment came when he asked, “so what’s the age difference between you three?”. Priceless.

Earlier on in the day I saw a very moving film on line called Kony 2012. This is the link: (English, but there are versions with translations)
I urge you to find 30 minutes when you can concentrate and watch this movie. The cause is one that I am going to get behind as much as I can, as it is only through reaching more people that it will make a difference.

That’s enough from me.



Comments are closed.